Friday, November 18, 2011

Sea Gmaes News 11/18

Phillipa does it again

Phillipa Yoong was not competing in water-skiing for personal glory but felt she had a responsibility to raise the profile of the sport in the Sea Games and the pressure showed when she fell while completing the routine in the slalom yesterday.  

 However, she received a second chance when she tied with Singapore's Sasha Christian and a runoff was held.Phillipa made no mistakes this time and won gold, her second in the Sea Games, and in the process set a Games record. The Malaysian made a winning debut, also in Jakarta, in 1997 as a 19-year-old.The previous record was set by Indonesia's Nuniek, who cleared the buoy at the speed of 55kph with a 14-metre rope, while Phillipa's rope was 13 metres when she cleared the buoy at 55kph.

   It is one of the longest waits --  14 years -- for an athlete to go for a second gold due to water-skiing being dropped after the 1997 Games.Phillipa, a mother of two, was delighted as she firmly believes that winning gold here would boost interest among the young generation again.

"I was just thinking about the gold so much and there was so much pressure. Water-skiing in Malaysia really needs a breakthrough and the gold medal is so crucial. I am glad and relieved to have won," said Phillipa"This is the reason I struggled in the qualifying rounds yesterday (Wednesday) and I also fell on the second pass. But I was fortunate to get it right in the runoff," she added. "I think the gold had eased the pressure and we are looking forward to more medals."Phillipa dedicated the medal to her husband Andrew Bailey whose support allowed her to continue as head coach of the national team and also to focus on her training.


   "I owe this to Andrew because he has been very supportive. He looks after our children -- Tara and Chloe -- whenever I go for training or compete abroad. He looks after them, sends them to school and is always around to help. He is my most trusted babysitter," joked Phillipa.Phillipa's effort rubbed  off on her brother, Alex, who secured a surprise slalom silver as Indonesians Wangka Fath Daud and Indra Hardinata took gold and bronze respectively.- http://www.nst.com.my





By SEA Games with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • TAGS
    • Archives